It's Okay to Not Know



    “Don’t worry, you’ll figure it out” This is a quote I hear from adults often. My major is Interdisciplinary Studies which consists of three minors. My three minors are Public Health, Psychology, and Biology. I recently switched majors from Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences. I planned on taking the Speech Pathologist route. This is a job that is currently in high demand. I had to switch out of that major because academically I wasn’t doing well. This was sort of upsetting for me because I felt like I have failed myself for not taking school more seriously and not being able to keep up with the workload. This was also upsetting for my mom because she was rooting for me and for my career life. I then began to feel ready about the situation and realized I needed to figure out what career path I wanted to take.

     Figuring out what I wanted for myself for the rest of my life made me very overwhelmed and confused about myself. The endless thoughts of not knowing what it is exactly I want to do with my life was frustrating and stressful. I feel like at a young age the education system seems to have us one specific route at a certain time in our lives. 

    I’ve began to think to myself that life lies beyond education. I realized that I will learn more about myself as I go through life. As time goes on, every day we are experiencing life differently and having experiences that will shape the future for us. I am figuring myself out through my work environment, school courses, and the activities engage in. Figuring out what my interests are and what really makes me happy is what is most important in figuring out my potential career path. I have come to realize it is okay to not have our lives figured out at such a young age. We are figuring out new things about ourselves as we go through life. Every year we are new people with different mindsets and interests. It is so hard to think about what it really means for me and my future. Deciding to live on your own terms, following your intuition, and living as honestly as one possibly can is a deciding factor when it comes to our career paths. At the end of the day, it all comes down to doing something that makes you genuinely happy.


Comments

  1. Hi Iliana, I was able to resonate with this post because I have found myself in moments of distress because of the "unknown". This is something we all go through and while it is easier for some, it may be harder for others. I think I have learned to accept things for what they are and take it day by day. I really liked how you included " every day we are experiencing life differently and having experiences that will shape the future for us", which is true because plans may change unexpectedly and we must learn to adapt and just make the best out of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Iliana! I couldn't agree more. I just swapped majors as I'm entering my final year (hopefully) at SDSU, and it's incredibly daunting! Everyone always seems to have the expectation that you need to have a plan for life after college well in advance, but that's simply not realistic for most people. I'm definitely still figuring out what I want to do with my life, and i've had to learn to accept that even if it's difficult. Like you said, my wants and personality grow and change each year, so it doesn't make sense for me to try and plan my whole life out as I'm still learning who I am, and who I can be on my own as an adult. Great post, I think you did a really good job of summarizing a problem many of us are facing right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Iliana,
    Your post really spoke to me, as someone who changed majors and transferred colleges. I definitely had to learn to accept changes in my life and come to an acceptance that I'm not sure what I want to do in the future. It can be difficult to be okay with this, but your post made me feel more assured with my life and that it's alright to figure things out later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Iliana,
    I am a theatre major and for some dumb reason people have such a hard time accepting that. They say things like, "What are you gonna do with that," "How are you gonna support yourself," "What's your backup plan." We aren't allowed to just do what we desire and because of other people we have a hard time realizing what it even is that we desire. Even now that I have added an English minor, people are acting like I made a smarter choice. I added the minor because I love English and not because I felt I needed a back up plan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jolly Good Oysters

Aromatherapy